Hazmat & Transportation Training w/Live Release Ammonia Drill
York County Community College
112 College Dr.
Wells ME 04090
- Classroom instruction and live release ammonia drill
- MC-406 trailer will be onsite for an overview during training. Trailer provided by: Kenan Advantage Group, Inc.
- Complimentary lunch
You only need to register for one training session. All topics and the drill are covered within each 8-hour session.
- All Attendees/All Levels (Railroad 101, Understanding Tank Cars, Highway Cargo Trailers)
- Technician Level or Ammonia Specialist (Ammonia Drill – Entry)
- Operations Level (Ammonia Drill – Decon & Air Monitoring)
- Awareness Level (Ammonia Lecture + may observe the drill from a safe distance)
- Types of Ammonia Releases
- Railroad 101
- Understanding Cargo Trailers
- Anhydrous Ammonia Overview
- Routes of Exposure
- Health Effects
- First Aid
- Containers/Bulk and Non-Bulk Packaging
- Ammonia Processes
- Ammonia Response Tactics
- ER Guide Cards
- Tarp & Cover
Railroad 101: Learn about railroad operations, hazards, and safety rules. Rail hazmat safety and emergency response procedures are reviewed. Presented by: CP Rail
Ammonia Properties & Emergency Response:An overview of anhydrous ammonia, including its chemical and physical properties, placards, labels, containers, tank construction, and the hazards and potential outcomes associated with an anhydrous ammonia incident. Presented by: Tanner Industries, Inc.
Field Exercise 1 (Understanding Tank Cars): Learn about the anatomy of general service and pressure tank cars including protective housings; tank components; safety appliances; jacket, shell, and head construction; placards and markings. Presented by: CP Rail
Field Exercise 2 (Understanding Cargo Trailers): Conducted using a MC 406 cargo trailer. This training focuses on familiarization with various valves and fittings on cargo trailers, and potential leak points. Presented by: Kenan Advantage
Ammonia Live-Release Drill: Live release ammonia drill for participants to practice and perform basic control and confinement operations, including tarp and cover. Decontamination and air monitoring will also be incorporated into the drill. Presented by: Tanner Industries, Inc.
Required PPE for Drill Participants (MUST BRING WITH YOU):
- Operations Level Drill Participants: Turnout Gear or Level B, plus thermal gloves & chemical gloves
- Technician Level Drill Participants: Level A or Encapsulated Level B + plus thermal gloves & chemical gloves. You can utilize Level A suits that are expired or did not pass pressure test at this drill. No Level A training suits are allowed.
- For any questions related to PPE for the drill, please email our lead ammonia instructor David Binder at email@example.com.
*Must be Technician Level to enter the live release area of the ammonia drill.
*Operations Level can participate in decontamination and air monitoring.
Please advise the instructor(s) of any pre-existing medical condition(s) that may preclude you from participating in any field exercise. Stay hydrated and alert.
Be at the site by 8:00 AM for registration. Class will begin promptly at 8:30AM.
You MUST pre-register for this event, we cannot accommodate walk-ins at this training.
- Tanner Industries, Inc.
- Canadian Pacific Railway (CP)
- Kenan Advantage
2900 Fairview Park Drive
Falls Church VA 22042
901 Goosley Rd.
Yorktown VA 23690
200 Clifton Corporate Parkway
Clifton Park NY 12065