1st Annual Virginia Hazmat Weekend
Yorktown CBRNE Training Center
503 Back Creek Road
Seaford VA 23696
If you do not receive your confirmation email, please check your spam filter. If the confirmation email is not located in your spam filter, please reach out to your IT department to ensure emails can be received from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Classroom instruction and field exercises
- Complimentary breakfast and lunch
- Certificates upon successful completion will be emailed following the event
- Operations Level & Technician Level (Chlorine emergency response kits and simulated drills)
- Technician Level (Live Release Ammonia Drill – Entry)
- Operations Level (Live Release Ammonia Drill – Decon & Air Monitoring)
Must be Technician Level to enter the live release area of the ammonia drill.
Operations Level can participate in the drill through decon and air monitoring.
Ammonia Properties & Emergency Response: An overview of anhydrous ammonia, including its chemical and physical properties, placards, labels, containers, tank construction, and the hazards and potential outcomes associated with an anhydrous ammonia incident.
Chlorine Properties & Emergency Response: Learn about the physical and chemical properties of chlorine. Transportation methods, health effects of acute exposure, proper selection of personal protective equipment, first aid, and medical treatment measures.
Ammonia Drill: Live release ammonia drill for participants to practice and perform basic control and confinement operations, including tarp and cover. Decontamination and air monitoring will also be incorporated into the drill.
A-Kit Workshop: Learn about potential leak scenarios for chlorine 150-lb cylinders and how to mitigate those leaks. Install new and old versions of the Emergency Kit “A” on chlorine cylinders. Simulated (with air) leaking cylinder.
B-Kit Workshop: Learn about potential leak scenarios for chlorine ton containers and how to mitigate those leaks. Install new and old versions of the Emergency Kit “B” on ton container training devices.
C-Kit Workshop: Learn about potential leak scenarios for chlorine rail tank car valves and fittings and how to mitigate those leaks. Install the Emergency Kit “C” on chlorine tank car valve arrangements for standard and next generation (dual valve system) assemblies. Simulated (with air) leaking tank car valve.
Required PPE for Drill Participants (MUST BRING WITH YOU):
- All Drill Participants: SCBA (there is a bottle refill station on site)
- Operations Level Drill Participants: Turnout Gear or Level B, plus thermal gloves & chemical gloves
- Technician Level Drill Participants: Level A or Encapsulated Level B (plus thermal gloves & chemical gloves). You can utilize Level A suits that are expired or did not pass pressure test at this drill. No Level A training suits are allowed.
- Chlorine Hands-on: Safety Glasses & Gloves
Please advise the instructor(s) of any pre-existing medical condition(s) that may preclude you from participating in the field exercise. Stay hydrated and alert.
Be at the site by 8:00 AM for registration. Class will begin promptly at 8:30AM.
You MUST pre-register for this event, we cannot accommodate walk-ins at this training.
REGISTRATION: At this time we can only accommodate 44 attendees each day at this training event. If required registration capacity may be reduced due to state regulations for COVID-19. You will be contacted directly if your registration has to be canceled.
- Virginia Association of Hazardous Materials Response Specialists