Contact: Patrick Hurston (202) 249-6506
WASHINGTON (April 4, 2013) – TRANSCAER® (Transportation Community Awareness and Emergency Response), a voluntary national outreach effort that focuses on assisting communities to prepare for and respond to a possible hazardous materials transportation incident, today announced the recipients of its 2012 National Awards Recognition Program.
The TRANSCAER® Awards Program recognizes the achievements of individuals, companies and organizations that exceed in advocating, demonstrating and implementing at the national and regional levels the principles of TRANSCAER®, including transportation safety, community assistance and emergency response planning and aid.
The awards include:
- National and Regional Achievement Awards;
- the Chairman's Award, a special, discretionary award given by the National TRANSCAER® Task Group Chairman;
- the Torch Award, recognizing those individuals whose legacy leaves a lasting impact on the TRANSCAER® program; and
- Individual and Certificate of Achievements Awards.
"This year’s award recipients are certainly committed to their companies, but it’s their dedication to their communities that truly sets them apart,” said National TRANSCAER® Task Group Chair Ed Chapman, of BNSF Railway. “In everything that these great men and women do, they are ensuring that the principles of TRANSCAER -- including an unparalleled commitment to safety – enhance the knowledge of emergency responders across the country. And as volunteers who bring these essential programs and people together it’s important that we give them the recognition that they deserve. Because they make the difference, each and every day," Chapman added.
The 2012 National TRANSCAER® Awards Recipients announced by Chapman include:
- National Achievement:
- BNSF Railway
- CN Dangerous Goods Team, Canadian National Railway Co.
- Canadian Pacific
- CSX Transportation
- DANA Transport Inc.
- Norfolk Southern Corporation
- Tanner Industries, Inc.
- Renewable Fuels Association
- Union Pacific Railroad
- Regional Achievement:
- Scott Etzel, Dow; and Dan Coots, TCR Industries, Inc., representing TRANSCAER®’s California State Team
- Chairman’s Award:
- Timothy P. Butters, Deputy Administrator, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation
- Torch Award:
- William J. Oertly, Norfolk Southern Corporation
- Art Vesterfelt, Canadian National Railway Co.
TRANSCAER® also presented sixty-six Individual Achievement Awards to those individuals who worked to advance the principles of TRANSCAER®.
The awards will be presented at two upcoming industry conferences this spring, including ACC’s annual Responsible Care® Conference and Expo and Bureau of Explosives Hazmat Seminar.
The full list of current and previous award recipients is available by visiting the TRANSCAER® Web site at www.transcaer.com